Sunday, February 10, 2013

Becoming a Foodie

I do not consider myself a Foodie...but, perhaps a growing one.....
We had some dear friends to dinner last night. I planned the menu for weeks.
Appetizers were fresh homemade French bread with Brousse cheese drizzled with garlic oil, and spicy walnuts and pecans...
Dinner was Porchetta, roasted carrots and potatoes, arugula and mache salad with pomegrante seeds and more homemade French bread
Dessert was Cardamon cake with whole poached pears & white chocolate
Does this make me a Foodie? Perhaps.
Here is a picture of the nuts. I made these the night before....They were pretty yummy. They were excellent paired with the fresh French bread & Brousse cheese (homemade). We served Dark Horse Cabernet Sauvingnon with it. Yum.

I had so much fun, though there was a lot of work.....
Here is the Pork Belly wrapped around a small pork tenderloin. It is "resting" in the fridge for 36 hours. The filling is fresh thyme, sage, and rosemary with pine nuts (a full bag) and fennel seeds (that I grew last year). This is the last shot I got....being so busy pulling together a whole dinner...sorry.
The dinner cooked faster than the recipe said, guess my oven is working a little too well. But, all in all, very yummy.
The pork belly came from the Farmer's Market at So. Co, from Dave the butcher. It was a bit expensive, but when it comes down to it, I really liked the idea of knowing the farmer and butcher in Dave. His meats are all excellent and I recommend his products.

This morning we had some leftovers for breakfast. Hubby loves breakfast!
Here we had porchetta chopped and cooked, the bread was turned into French toast and I chopped up some of the nuts and put them into the maple syrup (we use only pure maple syrup as the others have corn syrup). It was rich and I couldn't finish it all....Hubby left just a few nuts on his plate.

Does all this make me a Foodie?? Perhaps.
I know that this is the year that I am experimenting with different recipes and cuts of meat. So far, this was a winner and will address again......later. It is a rich and yummy cut (afterall it is where bacon comes from), and I don't think it is a good thing to eat before a cholesterol test....humm...

What do you like to cook?
Have a great weekend.
Nancy

3 comments:

Sharon @ Lilikoi Joy said...

Yum, I think this dinner is definitely foodie worthy! Looks and sounds delicious. Sharon

home inspection brooklyn said...

A bunch of nuts - pecan and walnut. Bon appetit, these are healthy choice of nuts.

Kerry said...

What a nice dinner! I like to cook and enjoy trying different recipes too. I guess I consider myself becoming a foodie too.