Friday, January 11, 2013

Soda bread

I was given a wonderful book for my birthday.
Homemade Winter by Yvette van Boven...
This is a book for the adventurous, the dreamers and the cooks....it is a delight for the eyes and the stomach.
Today, I followed her recipe for Brousse cheese and brown soda bread. Both of which will be on tomorrow morning's menu.
However, my Hubby cannot walk past any just out of the oven bread...so of course we had to cut into it. I served it to him with our fresh made two days ago orange marmalade. I had a taste....it was tres yummy....
I actually played with her recipe and plan to often...it is a fun and easy recipe...perfect for a cold day.
The buttermilk portion was replaced by the whey I got from the making of the Brousse cheese, which is in the fridge at this moment....
What fun!
This is the whey from the cheese, at least what is left...there was quite a bit....

 She recommends not overmixing it and making it tough....
I like to bake in clay cookware...it is fabulous! I recommend it!
This bread is made with oatmeal, regular flour and rye (I substituted the rye as I didn't want to use wheat germ)....and is a country hearty bread....
Have you played with Irish Soda Bread?? Usually, it is made with white flour and raisins...this was a nice switch.....Oh and the author has the regular recipe in her book too.
Oh, and the cheese you ask, well...it is a soft cheese somewhat similar to ricotta or goat cheese and is made with cow's milk and goat's milk. A great recipe bakes it and makes it hot and then serves it with bread and or fruit.....
Have a great evening...
Nancy

1 comment:

maryhealybooks said...

I love fresh wholemeal soda bread, it is a traditional Irish bread -one I make several times a week using butter milk.Sometimes I make white soda bread too.Add a few sultanas and some sugar and you have a treat!I love your blog!Mary