Thursday, January 24, 2013

Crafting

Lately, I have been working on table runners. I have one I finished that is patchwork and quilted, but because it is a gift, I am not going to show it....I don't want her to see it.
I also made a table runner from a piece of dropcloth. Yup, Dropcloth.



I have been using dropcloths since I read about them almost a year ago. I just made new drapes in the family room and most recently in the dining room. I was tired of dark brown shiny drapes, and even though they were lined, weren't all that warm. These are perfect! The dropcloth material that I bought several months ago was a different lot, and newer ones are more cotton duck cloth, but the color is good and they are durable. And at $10 for a 6 x 9 panel, who can complain? My daughter said yesterday, "...it is calming in here..."
I have been admiring other rooms where it is basically monochromatic in color and the soothing part is what I was going for. I am pleased that is what she said. It made my heart sing.
Making the drapes wasn't hard. Since the dropcloths are not seamed and they are finished edges, all I had to do was, measure and stitch two lines. I wanted a ruffle at the top, that is my personal taste. For others, a single stitch line will provide a rod pocket.

They do "puddle" on the floor by about 4", but I actually like that. So, someone else might want to either raise their curtain rod or hem them...but since I am actually lazy...I have learned to like "puddling" and it helps with cold that seeps in from windows.
Yesterday, I was sitting at my place at the table, and was looking at a decorative glazed ceramic piece that it an "artichoke". It was a creamy yellowy color and very shiny. I no longer liked it's color, and it seemed to grate at me. I have been wanting to do something with it. Then I thought....maybe ASCP.
So, before my Hubby knew what was happening while he was drinking coffee at the other end of the table, I pulled out French Linen and my brushes, put on my painting apron and painted. He remarked. "It looks more like an artichoke!" Ah Ha!
Two coats later, and some wax.....


The brown is a heavy coat of wax used to highlight....and this hasn't been "buffed" yet as I wanted to be sure the paint and wax stay put...but, to me it is so much better. It looks like more of a statement and more three D. (Sorry, I always forget the before picture).
So, that is what I have been up to the last few days.

I am off to get some more thread....my present project is mid sewing and I ran out! Yikes!
I hope you have a blessed day full of energy and creativity!
Nancy

6 comments:

Regine Karpel said...

Lovely post!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

chateau chic said...

You've been busy! I love all your projects using drop cloths.
Mary Alice

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Love the drop cloth as a curtain! I have been thinking about doing this for our master bedroom.

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog.

~Shanon

lynn said...

i love using drop cloths, too! very pretty runners--happy weekend!

Kay San Nicolas said...

Hello Nancy..........Greetings from Germany. I am your newest follower. Thank you for visiting my blog Gallery Fifty Eight.
Kay

Kerry said...

Very nice! I want to make something with drop cloths too, maybe placemats to start with. Have a great weekend.