Wednesday, December 5, 2012

gluten free banana cupcakes

Okay, first let me thank Flora Dawn.
www.floradawn.com
This is yummy! Finally, a gluten free recipe that is easy and yummy...with no restraint on the gluten free flour you use!
She (Flora Dawn) excels in gluten free recipes, so people like me and others can enjoy things like cookies, cupcakes and others. Yes, there are pre-packaged goodies from companies like Betty Crocker (yay), but not for everything. So, here is the converted recipe originally from Martha Stewart that works!
Second off, I went looking for other gluten free flours, because honestly there are other delicious flour blends out there that do not have to have rice or corn. Try some that are now so wonderfully available!
I found this blend, and it is amazing. Made with casava flour, potato starch, coconut flour and xanthan gum. (If you are allergic to coconut obviously, this is not for you.)

Here they are....

Now, Flora Dawn has a Honey-cinnamon frosting that can go on these, which I may try tonight and make these dessert, but we tried them after they cooled a bit and were still a bit warm....YUMMY!!!
The smell coming from the oven was incredible...I may buy bananas more regularly again!
When Hubby says they are yummy, you know it has the real stamp of approval. Yippeee!
With baking time rolling around again, it is nice to know that there will be some things I can eat!! I think I will share some of these with my hairdresser, who has a real gluten intolerance. Merry Christmas!

1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tb flax seed meal (optional) (I did not use it)
1 stick butter softened
1 1/2 cup mashed banana (I had three, she says 4)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tin.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flax (if using).
2. In another bowl whisk together butter, bananas, eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Stir into the flour mixture and mix well. Divide into the prepared muffin tin.
3. Bake for 25-30 mins until a toothpick comes our clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting. (Though you do not have to frost)

Her frosting is...
1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 stick butter at room temp
1 TB honey
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with mixer 4-5 mins until light and fluffy.
Sounds really good...
yummmmm
I am off to bake some Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookies!
Take care. Nancy

No comments: