Saturday, November 3, 2012

Gluten Free meatloaf

Without belaboring food allergies and all the problems I have had over the last few years....I wanted to share with you my "gluten Free" meatloaf.
When I was a young girl my mother made a "gluten Free" meatloaf.
However, hers was laden with stewed tomatoes, which she loved. I prefer a more solid meatloaf, much like many people make with cracker crumbs or bread crumbs. Since I was trying to avoid wheat I needed to find a substitute. In my fridge I had leftover cooked white rice. Humm, I thought, I wonder....
So, I used leftover rice in place of bread crumbs and used leftover tomato soup (Trader Joe's Roasted red pepper and tomato soup). I mixed the pound of hamburger with the rice, an egg and used the tomato soup for extra moisture. And because I tend to be lazy, I put everything into the food processor to blend it together....
The result was a very moist and flavorful meatloaf! I did use a new pan that I have acquired, a glazed clay loaf pan. That seems to make a difference also. It holds moisture and bakes so nicely, I am glad to have it in my collection.
Now, for those of you who have to watch cholesterol...the meal tonight is too off the charts, so you might want to ignore the rest of this post....
But, tonight for leftovers, I served the leftover meatloaf, sliced, dipped in potato flour and fried ( in bacon fat nonetheless...) with German fried potatoes in bacon fat with onions....
Yeah, that's what Fall does to me, I crave the "stick to your ribs" dinners....

So, with Gluten Free you can still eat very well......
How do you eat? Do you need to watch Gluten? do you have food allergies??
Let me know.
Nancy

2 comments:

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I love your "stick to your ribs" menu! Your meatloaf looks so delicious. I am not gluten intolerant, but my husband is allergic to all fowl. So we do not have turkey for Thanksgiving. Luckily, he can eat eggs. Go figure!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I've been thinking of going on a gluten free diet also. My sinuses have been doing havoc for the last 4 years. So this will make a great gluten free option, and hubs loves bacon. Thanks for stopping by my blog and liking my drop leaf table!