Saturday, November 17, 2012

Beef and Pumpkin stew with popovers

Well, I felt like cooking and sewing and crafting today with the weather quite a bit inclement today.
As the clouds came in, the coziness sent me to the kitchen....
I started with some stew meat and a pumpkin. I sauteed some garlic in olive oil, added the meat to brown and then threw in a pumpkin all chopped up. Thanks here to my Hubby, whose muscle had to help cut up the pumpkin...

I seasoned it with Bouquet garni, a pinch of cumin and a pinch of ginger, salt and pepper, and a bay leaf and let it cook for about 2 hours at 350.
When it was almost done, I mixed popover batter, got the popover pan hot with butter, and poured in the batter at about 3/4 full in each cup.
Here is what I got....



Yeah, they beat the stew hands down in flavor...though the  stew was good, the popovers definitely stole the show with their cheese inside....
And yes, the pan does make a difference. I have made popovers with muffin tins before, they don't do as well as these did. Ingredients need to be room temperature beforehand, otherwise popovers aren't too hard. Oh, and the pan needs to hot with butter before you add the batter. That is the other trick. Try them sometime...recipes abound online. Enjoy!
Nancy

No comments: