Thursday, October 25, 2012

Changing out the drapes

Today, in the early morning, it was actually cold. A couple of days ago, I had to put a blanket on the bed and the chill in the family room and kitchen was proof that it was time to take down the white linen drapes and put up the old brown thermal drapes.
It has been a while since I bought these drapes at Linens 'n Things (which closed roughly three years ago). These are a "silk" like drape that has a flannel lining in the middle so they are wonderfully warm for winter nights. Our dual pane windows are still cold when its cold outside...
 (Yes, they are a bit wrinkled and lumpy...they are 7 years old and have been washed and dried and then hung up in the closet.....)
This is the family room corner, my Mother's desk almost disappears with the dark chocolate colored drapes....in the foreground is a chair that I got at a garage sale ($5) that I recovered, all by myself with a grain sack...(I love grain sacks!) (My favorite place to buy grain sacks is grainsack.etsy.com)

 Here is a shot of the other corner...our messy bookcase and collection of baskets, the lap quilt I made for the room...
The color on the wall is Cappuccino from Restoration Hardware...
Sorry about the angle of the photo here...A picture of a corner of the dining room. The color on the wall is bamboo beach.
So, I will be pulling drapes closed again, to keep us snug and warm, even when the days go up to 80, the nights get cold...seems almost foreign after we had so many hot days and night....
So, that I know people are reading I would love some feedback on what other colors you would use for the drapes and where to get them....as these are beginning to show their age....I would love some input...
I especially think it would be nice to have drapes that I didn't have to change with the season....thoughts on that??
Nancy

No comments: