Friday, September 14, 2012

The softer side of gray...

Well, I am sorry I didn't post last night, but I was too tired....
The painters finished, and I must say, the hall and livingroom are completely transformed!
I feel like we completely remodeled....but it is all just paint!
Here is the room as the painters are finishing....


I was trying to get the gray my eyes saw... but it still in the picture looks beige. And you can sort of see the "whisper" of the color on the ceiling. That color on the ceiling is ever so subtle, I almost wish it was a touch more, but one doesn't really want someone saying "oh, you painted your ceiling"...You just want it to feel cozy....
The painters were great in moving the furniture back, although after I put china away and hung my pictures, I realized that the hutch needs to move over about 6 inches....hummmmm.
Anyway, here is what I have now....

 I think you can see more of the gray in this picture.....

And the camera caught the touch of color in the ceiling....
See what I mean about moving the hutch?? Yeah, I should have hung the pictures first before putting china back, huh?
But the feel of the house is so much better, and I just want to sit in the room. It is a soothing color.
My youngest daughter, (who just turned 29), said it isn't really gray...but then again she hasn't seen it in person.
The color "plays" nice with everything and even the blue carpet (someday gets changed) doesn't scream at me so much any more....
The hall looks wonderful too, fresh and clean....
I did however, decide that the little French mirror could no longer be brown like it was, so while the guys were painting, I painted....

I tried to get a finished picture, it didn't show it well enough, here is a part of the finished mirror...
It is layered with three colors and two waxes....
I made brown with olive and primer red, then applied that, letting just a bit of the deep brown from the previous paint to show through. Then, I dry brushed Coco on. That took a while to dry....
Then, when it was dry, I lightly dry brushed Old White over raised areas....
When that was dry, I put on clear wax, let that dry and then the dark wax....The unique part of the process is the wax lifts color oh so slightly, so it looks even more aged.
Funny. Coco is very similar to what is on the wall...hummmm. the "stone" color is tonal to coco and French Linen....they both look great with it! Isn't that fun?
The color behind the mirror that you see is "stone", see it? That is gray! Ha, so there I caught it!
I love how now the new color changes with the light coming through the window, and leads you gently from room to room.
Have a great day and weekend!
I will be dog sitting for my daughter, so I will be a bit busy....
Nancy

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Isn't it amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do for a room. EVerything looks lovely. I love your chalk paint finish!!
Rhonda