Sunday, September 23, 2012

Smokin.....

I gave my hubby a smoker for his birthday. He has been interested forever. I don't mind mentioning that we often watch "triple D"....Diner, Drive-ins, and Dives.....
Well, we all know how many BBQ and smoked meats he samples on that show....wellll......
My hubby was more than interested, and being his birthday, I gave him a Brinkman smoker.
Well, last night he "seasoned" his smoker and afterward, he lowered the grill and cooked two large bone-in pork chops and well, as they say, the rest is history!
Today, he fired up the smoker at 12:30 and when the coals were ready, he put on a pork shoulder roast.
Picturing dinner about 6:30 we figured that would work.
However, the butcher told me "4-6 hours of constant heat"....well, it takes practice.
It smells fabulous around here. But, it is 6:30 and the main event is still smoking....
It's ok, no company present waiting, just us so we can experiment....
Meanwhile, I cooked up some fresh fava beans (nothing better!) and an assortment of chantrelle, oyster, and another mushroom that  Whole Foods had the wrong name on......with a different Parmesan on....oh well, we had crackers, cheese, the Fava dish and dessert of fig crisp! Pork roast for pulled pork tomorrow!! Yummmmmm


Not a bad day at all....we explored the new Whole Foods in Fashion Island, Newport Beach and then started smoking....
As the butcher told me, it is a learning curve and a world of wood and flavor....
Thinking about an Oktoberfest!
Nancy

No comments: