Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tomato Jam Recipe ...a great find!

What is one supposed to do with all those tomatoes??
Yes, you can freeze them...cut up and put in bags...
You can make tomato sauce and freeze it or can it...
You can can tomatoes...in just about any way you can imagine. You can make ketchup (catsup).
You can make chutney, which I am looking at some recipes....
But, wait there's more!
You can make tomato Jam!
No, not like regular jam (though close)....
It is excellent....
I found it on a site, http://www.foodinjars.com,
which has all kinds of foodie goodies.....
I didn't do a "real" canning...instead it went into the fridge....
But, hubby said it is a "keeper"...and that I am allowed to make as much as I want.
Wait, really??
Yep....
So....here it is friends in Blogland....and remember to visit "Foodinjars" along the way!


Tomato Jam Recipe

makes 4 1/2 to 5 pints
The amount may vary with season to season depending on the tomatoes.....


5 lbs. tomatoes, finely chopped (I actually used a food processor as I am lazy!)
3 1/2 cups sugar ( I actually used too much as I didn't think in the early stages it was enough, it is)
8 TBS fresh lime juice
2 tsp ginger ( I didn't have any so I used 1 tsp of dried)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves (oh yes, it is needed)
1 TBS salt
1 TBS red chili flakes ( I beliee you can adjust for your needs)


combine all ingredients in a lare, non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce temp to a simmer. Stirring regularly, simmer the jam until it reduces to a sticky, jammy mess. This will take between 1- 2 hrs, depending on how high you keep your heat.

when the jam has cooked down suffieniently, remove from heat and fill hot jars, leaving 1/4 " of head space. Wipe rims, apply lids and twist on rings. Process in a boiking water canner for 20 mins.

When time is up, remove joars from water bath and allow them to cool. When jars are cool enough to handle, test seals. Store jars in a cool. dark place for up to a year. (It won't las that long!)


Now, what do you use it for?? Anything that you'd use ketchup for and then more......
We used it on crackers with cream cheese and a dollop of the tomato jam...very, very yummy.....
Did I say yummy??
Okay, you get the point...so if you have a large crop, go for it....or a really good buy at the farmer's market.....

Have a great evening...and be sure to let me know what you think!
Nancy

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Oh my, I have got to try this! I can only freeze/can/eat so many tomatoes yet hate throwing them out.