Thursday, August 9, 2012

Playing with Food

I do not like eggs. I think they taste generally yucky.  I like stuffed eggs, with mayo, mustard, and a dash of relish.
However, I have always been curious about other types of eggs in cuisine...especially quail eggs.
I have seen them, but they were usually too expensive to experiment with. But the other day, my friend and I discovered a different market. It is not a usual market and it carries many ethnic foods.
We had a great time discovering rare delicacies and then I saw a package of quail eggs for $1.49. That was it, I had to try!
So, I took them home and looked up how to cook them. Hard boiled seemed like a good thing to do, so I did.....
For those of you who might want to do the same, put the eggs in cold water, an inch over their shells...
Bring to a boil and turn off and cover the pot for 5 minutes.
Then immerse in cold water for another 5 minutes.....at that time, they should be done! How easy is that? They are fun and flavorful and neat and tidy!

I served them with our breakfast which was leftover salmon on half a bagel with cream cheese, basil and a nice big slice of tomato....and yes, I did eat the eggs....

Anyone ever try them?? How about duck eggs? I have heard that duck eggs are a bit strong for regular eating, but that they make the best cakes and other baked goods. Anyone ever try those?? Let me know....
Nancy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting maybe a nice change. I personally haven't tried either quail or duck.