Sunday, August 5, 2012

Let's talk tomato!

Okay, the season for tomatoes is more than mid-way...I still have quite a few tomatoes left and coming....
I have favorites....
Of course,if you have been reading my blog, my all time favorite is "Mortgage Lifter".
Then, "Beefmaster" did very well and rivaled my favorite....
Then a new one, a French variety, "Dona", came in third with an uncomprimising flavor.
I have disappointing years and varieties, everyone does....
The biggest disappointment was "Black Prince"....It turned out to be a fragile tomato and slow to give anything....in fact, tonight will be the first taste of what has turned an elusive tomato....
It is a small tomato, larger than a cherry, but in our garden, it is a bit of "wasted space".
Another, good tomato, but not a favorite...is "Red Zebra"....the flavor seemed "flat" and acidic...and again, not many on a bush....
One year, we grew "Green Zebra" and they were a large medium size and delicious....and ever since they have been small...and not terrific....although my neighbor has had terrific luck with hers this year....
And, every year I try to grow Roma, as they are perfect to dehydrate as well...but for the last two years they have been tiny and disappointing....
Today, we got up and took in the Flea Market and then the Farmer's Market....which made me appreciate our own produce.....
And while I am posting, I am simmering another batch of Tomato Jam.....it smells fabulous in here....
Have a great Sunday!
Nancy

No comments: