Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hot in the kitchen....

Our heat has begun, and today is day 5 of heat. Yesterday, was hot and humid. Today, though it was hotter, it wasn't as humid, so I got out early to get some things done that needed doing.
On the list was cleaning out some beds that had gotten so messy and straggly they were no longer pretty...so those got cleaned out to the dirt. Yup, dirt is showing......
But, aside from that, the beans needed harvesting, again. I harvested another bunch of beans for the freezer, which means we now have enough for Thanksgiving and beyond. It always makes me happy and feel as if I have provided food for the future.
I may not have the turkey (I would if it were legal), and I don't have cranberries, nor do I have the potatoes....but I have apples, beans and other goodies....It should be a good year.

For those who might know, the beans were harvested, rinsed and broken into segments and then blanched in boiling water quickly. Then, after the quickest of blanching (just enough to change the color) they are dropped into ice water to stop the cooking process. Then, after draining, they are put into freezer bags. This makes for yummy frozen beans as opposed to mushy beans....
A friend called this evening, and I went and got some of her very wonderful figs. Big, red figs that will hopefully go into fig jam tomorrow....
So, even with the heat, the harvest goes on....
Have a great evening!
Nancy

1 comment:

thistlewoodfarm said...

I love this time of year when everything is ready to be harvested! We had fresh corn a while ago and it was wonderful!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!
karianne