Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fall lights

Well, it has happened, again.....
In fact, it happens every year at this time....
There is something in the light or is it the smell in the air? Maybe it is all of the components. My husband laughs as I suddenly pull out all the previously canned jars from all the stash areas (I don't have a root cellar or a big pantry).  Like a squirrel I have stashed jars of tomatoes, jellies, jams and dried fruits and herbs. The light or the smell tell me it's time to assess what we have.
Now, this day and age, when one lives in the city or very close to it, one doesn't need to can anything. That what grocery stores are for. Right?
But, once upon a time, when we were much younger and had no children and lived in the country....my neighbor taught me how to can.
We canned everything and stocked up. She was a pioneer, Mrs. Crumb. She was a wonderful lady and much of my "stocking up" was garnered from her. I don't have the space that we had there, but I still get that feeling....the same that the squirrels around here have....time to stock up....
Yes, I have a freezer...it is already quite full.
However, the "pantry" is not.....
Yesterday, the sunflowers were falling over from the weight of their heads...good thing we took pictures the day before....they are starting to dry outside the back door so I can have seeds for next year. (If I have enough, there will be "Moulin Rouge" sunflower seeds in the WildOakDesigns store soon)
The sunflowers are also a key signal for me to get ready for fall....


 Yes, I know, it is still summer...and our hot days are still to come here in Southern California. But still, the light reminds me that Fall is not too far away and it is never a bad idea to get organized and get ready.
So, now I am off to our little "orchard" to thin the apple trees...they have set too many fruits per branch and as my little peach taught me, thinned fruit gives bigger and better fruit....
And then I am going to organize the canning jars with my wonderful Hubby...
Have a great day!
Nancy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been getting that feeling too I want to bake an make chili and such even though it's still hot outside