Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cozy Thursday

Thursday dawned with clouds rolling in dark and threatening. They have been predicting rain and thunderstorms. In a way, it is wonderful. It gives me a chance to hunker in and cook a cozy meal. I went to the market and though I had been thinking chicken, I chose a half turkey breast. After several nights of casual entertaining with many hors d'oeuvres, a roast turkey sounded wonderful...but with a twist. I am cooking it in clay.
Clay cooking for me is relatively new, and started with one clay chicken that I dearly love...and who now just gets to sit on the shelf letting the newer pieces of German clayware take over....


 I have been adding to the collection of clay cookware for about three years now, and have done cooking in various pieces a dozens or so times. It produces delightfully moist pieces, especially for cuts that could otherwise be dry and disappointing. And clayware makes for amazing cooked apples and poached pears....simply amazing. You can find these treasures at almost every thrift store. No one knows what to do with them. Many have never been used, or very lightly. In stores such as Sur La Table, they go for an outrageous price, as they are made in Germany, or Italy or France....but then they are sent away to thrift stores....Find yourself a newer one and you have a real find!

Tonight, with the weather being "iffy", I put the chairs under cover on the patio and have started soaking the clay....
In the morning, I gathered a bunch of zucchini and plan to incorporate some into the dinner....
Then, about 3:30 I filled the sink and added the clay cookware to soak for at least an hour.

Then, when it's time I will fill it with turkey, onions, zucchini, seasonings and a splash of wine. The moisture in the clay steams while roasting the meat, creating a wonderful dinner. Hmmmm, what wine shall I use?? Perhaps the sangoivese that is open from the other night...it is a light red...and will cook down into a thick sauce...
Yup, a cozy Thursday in the house. No guests tonight.
Cheers!
Nancy


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delious