Monday, May 7, 2012

Today, my Super Washing Soda arrived...it came very quickly from Drugstore.com. Now in my internet list of go to....
I mixed 4 lbs baking soda, 4 lbs super washing soda, 4 lbs borax, and 3 bars of castile soap (grated in the cuisinart)....I mixed and stirred. It was a bit dusty....but it did smell good...
I started with a simple little load of kitchen towels and a rubber bath mat (that you use in the tub not to slip). It smelled really good.....
The big test came from our bedspread that the dogs have been on. They make it dirty and smelly...even though they are well cared for...dogs are dogs....
I have to say, I am impressed. This home made detergent took out all but a tiny amount of a stain...I washed it again...it is clean and smells awesome....Perfect for a household that has dogs....or any pets.
It was about $13 for all the ingredients. It takes 2 tablespoons (I used heaping) to wash a load. It could be saving a bunch, even with shipping...clean and fresh....and I am not allergic to the ingredients...this could be good.
Another test will be further loads, but I wanted to tell you right away....
Before I did this recipe I ordered a special liquid detergent just for linens...touted as perfect for linens and can get stains out....and it does smell great...has the smell  of lavender...However, it is pricey! It was frivolous at $20 for this little bottle plus shipping...but I wanted to do the research....
This linen wash is for linen...what if you want to wash regular load of clothes...it would be really, really expensive...
So, this little recipe for laundry detergent isn't so bad. I had to grate the soap...not bad...I even used a cuisinart grater which washed very easily...mixing, not hard...a bit dusty...But it wasn't in any way the saop making of times past...In those days ladies would stand over a hot kettle melting and cooking lard and mixing in lye....
This was easy.....
So, that is the verdict so far...easy (except for order the washing soda), and washes well....
And yes...the clothes seem fluffier....
Ta ta for now....
Nancy

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

I have tried this recipe two ways, one was to grate it, the other was to mix it in a big 5 gallon container with water and then you had to stir it before using. Definitely the dry is better. The kids complained a little on whites that they didn't come out as white, but I just learned to add a little laundry booster to the white loads. It sure saves a lot and I have been shocked with the prices of laundry detergent lately so it was fun to beat the system!