Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saturday Sofa

Okay, so I went garage sale-ing...
Went to a house selling so many fabulous victorian pieces...or that type of style...and  well...I found this sofa...
It had those carved legs...carved arms...camel back...and it was cheap...
With Hubby's permission I bought it and they even delivered! I could have bought more...but now, well, I have to find fabric and get it re-upholstered and I don't even think it will fit in this house...probably will resale it....
So here is your job readers. Leave me some comments (nice ones) on what to recover it with....I want input. I don't want velvet...or ultra-suede ...thoughts? It measures exactly at the widest, 76" (yes, it is bigger than I thought)...but at starting $50 it was worth a shot in the dark...course, now no cars fit in the garage....



And more of the carved areas...


Here is what I am thinking so far...The wood is really beaten up, so it is perfect for an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco or French Linen....so use that in mind when thinking fabric...and I am thinking a light color, not dark....
Leave me a comment I need input!!!
Nancy

6 comments:

Revi said...

Lovely lines and details on the carved wood. I like your idea about going light with chalk paint. Upholstery could be a very easy clean light microfiber brushed suede or even drop cloth - (pre washed). Will you do it yourself?
-Revi

Sharon said...

Sence it is Frenchy looking , why not a toile ?

thistlewoodfarm said...

I like using the chalk paint. Perfect lines on the piece. What an amazing sofa. I would try striped linen :)

blessings,
karianne

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

What a great find! Now I know you said light not dark upholstery, but I'm thinking outside of the box: Navy canvas fabric, white or light gray paint.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

great piece.....love love the carvings on it and I like your starting point colors. The fabric choice would depend on where it's going but for a neutral, there's always white or cream duck or denim. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Wait! You're suppose to put a CAR in a garage. lol Okay, seriously, nice details on the sofa. I think you're on the right track with the transformation. It looks very comfortable. I would use a soft neutral fabric.