Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pinching Pennies

So, the cost of living is higher than it has been, that is an understatement.
Finding organic food or gentle food or products for allergic people is hard. Thus, I started looking around. In many blogs I did find a common recipe for laundry detergent. This is from MaryJane's formula.
1 (4 pound) box of Super Washing Soda
1 (4 pound) box of Baking Soda
1 (4 pound) box of Borax
3 bars of Kirk's Castile soap - shredded (or you can use Fels Naptha, Zota or Ivory soap)
Mix ingredients well in a large container and store in air tight container.
Use 2 heaping TBS to each load of laundry.

Now, I have had this recipe for months debating. The hard part according to writers is that the Super Washing Soda is now a days hard to find....this is TRUE.  My sweet hubby and I drove to Target, Sprouts, Ace Hardware, Vons, CVS, Rite Aid and Stater Bros market. No luck. Now I am on a mission!
I read on the internet that some Stater Bros have it, I still struck out...I also read that Albertsons has the super Washing Soda...I will look tomorrow. Otherwise, it is the internet, which would add cost....

Theory behind the work....clothes get cleaner, fluffier, and smell better And the cost is about  .05 a load.
Beginning to ring a bell? What rings a bell for me is that you can use Castile soap, which is perfect for someone like me who is allergic to so many detergents. It has been getting hard to get the detergent I  have been using. It costs about $8.50 for about 35 loads or so. But on top of it, the formulas doesn't seem to get clothes as clean...so I figure, why not give this a try??
Have any of you ever tried this laundry formula?? If so, let me know....

Oh!! And if you have been following...."Ying & Yang"  and a couple of the planted drawers sold....

Thanks to Patti at Truly Tattered! It is so exciting! It is terrific to have the opportunity to sell through the shop. If any of you are in Old Town Tustin check out her store, and tell her that Nancy sent you!!
Let me know you have been here....
Nancy

No comments: