Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Great Wednesday

Ah, the joys of producing food in the garden!
I go out in the morning and again in the evening to harvest blueberries. A few get taken by the birds, but by and large, we get about a cup a day....yummmmy!
Today, I mostly did what I call, "puttering" in the garden. Tidying this, plucking that, digging this , planting that....
I planted the hydrangea my daughter gave me in the wonderful clay urn she got. Isn't it beautiful? I haven't had great luck with them, so here's hoping....
Then I pulled out the old fern that was in this cast iron urn, and planted this lovely fushia, also from my daughter.
The peas are now gone. At this time of year, peas often develop powdery mildew...it changes the flavor and they look really bad...so I pulled all those out and planted Blue Lake beans(Ferry Morse from Home Depot). The radishes hadn't done well either, so I took those out and made two rows. One row of beets and another of Italian heirloom onions (Cooks Garden)....hope those work....
IN this bed you can see my sunflowers are doing quite well, as are the zucchini squash....on the other side of the sunflowers, my fava beans have started to come up! Yipeeee!
And then.....I took out and reset each of these brick pavers...
They had started to pull away and not feel so good on my feet and looked a little messy. So, I weeded and pulled them out and just redid them....It looks a little neater, don't you think??
All done for the day....I am bushed! With dieting and exercising I am ready to eat what I started early this morning....bean stew...
It is made with some dried beans that I bought yesterday at Whole Foods. It was an heirloom bean collection. I soaked them all night, rinsed them thoroughly this morning and put them in the crock pot. Later I added broccoli, tomatoes (frozen from last year), celery, spinach and oyster mushrooms. I am going to serve it with goat cheese on top. The calories add up to about 250 per serving, maybe less....as there is no meat.
Have a great evening....
Nancy

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You have been very busy it looks like! Gardening and cooking is a lot of work. Both pay off with big rewards though. Your stew looks good. Good luck with your garden and hydrangeas!