Friday, December 30, 2011

The headboard...

Our guest bedroom did not have a headboard, but since we are having guests, especially my wonderful father-in-law, the room was cold. Since the bed was on an outside wall, guest heads were cold next to the wall....so it needed a headboard. Yippee, treasure hunting! So, off my friend and I went and we came up empty handed, until I talked to a dear friend who just happened to have one in her garage! It was a typical old oak headboard for the 50's...kinda boring, and definitely short. I would have to work some kind of magic.
We took it home, wiped it down and looked carefully. It was hung just right, it would do...not too tall, but it would do what we wanted....insulate a guest head from the outside wall....



So, I went to a shop we have and bought an applique to dress it up and painted that brown to look like wood. Then, after that dried I glued it on with Gorilla glue and waited for that to dry...I hate waiting for things to dry!
Then, I painted it Coco (yay for Chalk paint!). It took two coats to cover the oak. Stunning. But it still needed something.....hummm. I had two old finials in the garden, just about the right size and they were looking too great either...but maybe....
So, I painted those and voila! Perfect sized finials to screw into the bed! They were just what that bed needed...


We put on two large "D" rings on either side and hung the now waxed and buffed headboard on 100lb picture hooks and well, voila, a headboard that any Paris apartment would love!

So, as you can see, it isn't tall....We had to be sure that the headboard didn't let cold air in from the wall, and it wasn't terribly big, but it actually works! And it only cost us the price of the applique and the D rings and hooks that I bought to hang it! Not a bad day's work. And pretty cute!
What do you think??

1 comment:

summersoul said...

I can't believe that is the same headboard you started with. Wow! It looks beautiful!